Bluey

Bluey
Come with us as we travel round Europe in our floating home

Tuesday 2 July 2019

The Beautiful Bourgogne

Hi, welcome back.

We've been very busy recently, hence the three week break since my last blog.  We're still on the canal de Bourgogne and have come to the conclusion that it's our favourite canal so far.  The scenery is simply stunning and the lock keepers are the most friendly and helpful we've ever met!

Even the lock-side bollards greet you with a smile 😂😂


One Sunday morning we had a team of 4 lockies helping us as we had 18 locks to do before lunch. One of them was really friendly and was quite happy to let me practice my french chit chat on him.  After a few locks he presented me with a bunch of the sweetest smelling roses I've ever had. Oh and for the record, he was fat, forty and not in the least bit attractive but I'll accept flowers from anyone. 


The next morning he brought us pastries


and later on picked us some cherries from a tree beside one of the locks. These were delivered in a kangaroos pouch he made from his very sweaty t-shirt but I'd have rinsed them even if I'd bought them, so no worries.  I reciprocated by feeding the team homemade muffins, which they looked at as if I'd poisoned them because all Frenchmen know that the English can't cook, but they really enjoyed them, ice lollies and cold beer were handed over at the last lock of the day.


We were on a mission to meet our daughter and grandkids at Pouilly-en-Auxois but stopped off at Pont d'Ouche for lunch one day as the bistro was highly recommended by DBA. I wish we hadn't bothered! The food was over-priced and not very nice and the wine was SO expensive that we just drank water. There is no way on this earth that I'm paying 9 euros for  glass of wine when that's what we normally pay for a 50cl carafe! They obviously focus on the American market which is reflected in the quality and prices. There was a table of 6 Americans from a hotel peniche besides us who the owners absolutely fawned over, taking advantage of their inability to speak or understand french and selling them really over-priced bottles of wine. Shameless! The next day we stopped in Vandenesse and went to another little restaurant for a fixed priced "menu du jour" and had a wonderful meal including wine and coffee for less than half the price at Pont 'Ouche. 

As we were approaching Vandenesse we had the most spectacular views of a castle that looked straight out of Disney. Chateauneuf-en-Auxois. We returned a week later by car with the grandkids and had a fabulous day out. My 7 year old granddaughter really believed me when I said that the turreted tower was where Rapunzel had lived 😂😂


To get to Pouilly-en-Auxois to meet the grandkids we had to pass through Pouilly tunnel which is narrow and has to be booked in advance. The lock keepers check your life jackets and tunnel lights and issue you with a permit and a walkie-talkie radio (although in french its a talkie-walkie) Neither of us were looking forward to this tunnel as we're both a bit claustrophobic, but careful preparation, i.e. lowering the bimini, satellite and the mast and putting extra lights on the roof helped a lot and we got through in an hour without ever touching the sides.



We spent a wonderful week at Pouilly with the kids. My 5 year old grandson found it really funny when he found out that Pouilly is pronounce "poo ye" but hey that's what muses little boys! 

It was quite warm when they were here so we bought a paddling pool which kept everyone happy until Granny overheated and kicked them all out so I could cool off and soak my feet. Bad Granny ! 😂


Once the kids left us we carried on, now going down the locks instead of up. The countryside is still stunning although there aren't as many good places to moor.


We stayed at Montbard for a week as the "canicule" (heatwave) hit us BIG style. 40'C during the day and 26'C at night was horrible. We had to become inventive to get any respite and I hooked a duvet cover onto the new bimini to give us some well needed shade.   Chico slept on wet towels and only really had a problem one night when Roger had to take him out at 02.30 to cool down as it was 33' in the boat


The only other down-side to the heatwave has been the sudden increase in flying beasties. I'm like a mozzie buffet and everything bites me with painful results 👹😭 This is one of many!


Anyway, today has been a much more pleasant temperature of 28' with a breeze and we are sat out on the top deck enjoying a glass of wine. The cover is for the bugs which are in abundance but the mozzie spiral and citronella candles are lit so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for no more bites tonight.


Just outside the kitchen window are wild strawberries which I'll pick in the morning. They are incredibly sweet but you need at least 6 to make one normal size strawberry.


That's all for now. Take care and I'll see you here again very soon XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment